Are you interested in visual communication in all its forms? Do you see the world as a stimulating place that sparks all kinds of creative thought, possibility and inspiration? If so, the BFA in Graphic Design & Digital Media should be high on your list of majors to explore. Champlain's expansive and forward-thinking program offers designers of tomorrow broad exposure to the concepts and skills needed to become creative designers and problem-solvers in this field.
You will benefit from a comprehensive and integrated education that will help you cultivate the critical competencies needed for success. Students in Graphic Design & Digital Media gain invaluable experience through internships at leading companies, including KSV, Burton Snowboards, Solidarity of Unbridled Labour, Select Design, Seventh Generation and MyWebGrocer.
Our cutting-edge design courses, opportunities for international study and internships, hands-on studio approach to traditional and digital media art classes, and extraordinary portfolio development process and professional project critiques will give you the leading edge you need as you enter the professional visual communication field.
A Detailed, Hands-on Approach
- Take classes such as Form & Color, Photography for Design I, and Digital Artwork in your first year at Champlain, thanks to our Upside-Down Curriculum.
- Enjoy opportunities to intern at internationally known companies, like Jager DiPaolo Kemp, Burton, Rome Snowboard Design and Select Design, among many other organizations.
- Study abroad at one of our international campuses in Montreal or Dublin, or another great location through a third-party program in locations like London, Florence, Madrid and Shanghai!
- Complete a professional level design portfolio of your creative works and have it rigorously and individually critiqued during the Senior Portfolio Review by a panel of guest designers from top large and small design firms, as well as in-house corporate design centers.
- Receive intensive personal and professional support from devoted faculty that provides teaching excellence, professional knowledge and attentive advising.
- Explore a wide-spectrum of career success—creating graphic identity systems, books, magazines, newspapers, print and television advertisements, websites, electronic publications, sports products, package design, exhibits and museum displays, and architectural graphics. Students enrolled in Champlain's Graphic Design & Digital Media program graduate with a BFA, and potential employers typically expect qualified junior designers to graduate with a BFA; a portfolio from a BFA student is more likely to be viewed, and received more positively, than a portfolio from a BS student.
- Find out what the portfolio requirements are to apply to this popular major.