Be fearless. Be strong. Live.
The Sarah Ramsey '12 Strong Scholarship Fund was established by gifts from family and friends in memory of Ramsey. The scholarship will a support sophomore, junior or senior marketing students who demonstrates strong academic performance and wishes to expand their professional and international experiences while attending Champlain College.
The award will be awarded annually at the Stiller School of Business Honors event to a student who exemplifies Sarah's qualities, including drive, determination, passion for advertising and branding, creative and critical thinking, individuality, and a thirst to experience all life has to offer. The ideal student would be one seeking a transformative experience in the field of Marketing and needs financial assistance to capitalize on one of the following opportunities:
- Study abroad on a Champlain-affiliated campus with intentions to complete an internship at a local Advertising, Branding, or creative firm at their abroad location.
- Study abroad through a third-party program with intentions to complete an internship at a local Advertising, Branding, or creative firm at their abroad location.
- Intentions to complete a high-level internship with a major Advertising, Branding or Creative firm within the United States that is not in close proximity to Champlain College or the student's home and family.
- Furthering their Marketing education through the Thunderbird School of Management by enrolling in their Certificate of Advanced Global Studies, which involves spending the fall of their fourth year at Thunderbird.
"Thanks to the generosity of Sarah's friends and family, we're excited to offer this scholarship opportunity to Champlain students," said the Ramsey family. "Our hope is that scholarship recipients will help honor Sarah's creative vision and drive by pursuing internship opportunities they otherwise could not take advantage of as part of their college experience. We look forward to learning more about their marketing and advertising career experiences when they return and share them with the Champlain community."
Criteria for Eligibility
- Student must be a rising sophomore, junior or senior enrolled within the Champlain College Stiller School of Business B.S. in Marketing
- Student must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Student has successfully completed an internship in Marketing with an emphasis on Creative, Advertising, and/or Branding
Application Process and Requirements
- Student must submit their application no later than January 31 each year.
- Application must include:
- A short essay (not to exceed 1000 words) addressing which of the options they are applying for, how they see this experience being transformative, and how these funds will help them
- Three letters of reference, including one from an internship supervisor and one from a professor emphasizing character, teamwork and quest for knowledge
- A portfolio (preferred digital) of work that demonstrates a positive can-do attitude throughout their academic experience at Champlain, including a willingness to take on multiple opportunities in order to learn and practice within the Marketing arena. The portfolio should showcase their creativity and love of Advertising and Branding and should go beyond assigned class work. Copy, visuals, concepts, analysis, storyboards, process flows are all acceptable items to submit within the portfolio. Be sure to identify clearly if these were class assignments, volunteer work, extra credit or passion projects
- Applications must be submitted electronically to Dr. Elaine Young, Professor of Digital Marketing no later than January 31 of the award year.
- Dr. Young will submit the applicant pool to The Sarah Ramsey Scholarship Advisory Council no later than February 15 of the award year. The charter members of the SRSAC will be comprised of:
- Margo Bartsh, Adjunct Professor of Advertising/Brand Management
- Scott Baker, Assistant Dean, Stiller School of Business,
- Erica Viscio '12, Hans Bardenheuer '12, and Andrew Coggio '12
- With input from the director of financial aid speaking to the financial needs of the applicants
- Changes to the membership of the SRSAC will be made by Dr. Young with concurrence from the Ramsey family
- The SRSAC will make recommendations to the Ramsey Family of the top finalists no later than March 1 of the award year.
- The Ramsey Family will vet the finalists and submit their award recommendations to Dr. Young and the SRSAC no later than March 20 of the award year.
- Dr. Young, Marketing faculty, and the SRSAC will make the final decision no later than March 31 of the award year.
- Scholarship will be awarded during the annual Stiller School of Business honors event, presented by Marketing faculty, members of the SRSAC, or a representative of the Ramsey family if possible.
- In May (or another month TBD): annual review of process led by Dr. Young, members of the SRSAC to determine if any refinements or changes are needed to the process in order to meet the overall objectives of the SRS Fund, with feedback to the Ramsey family.
Responsibility of Scholarship Winners
- Winners must demonstrate passion, drive, and fearlessness during their experience and keep a record of what they accomplish as a public blog or in written form to present with their portfolio.
- Upon return winner must submit a portfolio of the work they were inspired to create while they were in their experience, to the SRSAC, via Dr. Elaine Young, Champlain College.
- Dr. Young will share the portfolio with the SRSAC and the Ramsey family.
- Dr. Young will share the portfolio and story of the winner with Champlain College community, Alumni Affairs, and the Marketing Department.
About Sarah Elizabeth Ramsey '12
As a Marketing major with a specialization in Integrated Advertising, Ramsey studied abroad in Lima, Peru, during the fall semester of her junior year at Champlain. She embarked on a promising advertising career with internships with Cloud 9 Caterers in Burlington and the Blue Hive Agency in Shanghai, China before continuing her career in New York City. In June 2013, Ramsey died tragically after being struck by a car in Brooklyn, NY.
Sarah Ramsey Strong Scholarship Form
Want to Donate?
Secured donations can be made to the Sarah Ramsey Strong Fund online. Please indicate "Sarah Ramsey Strong" Fund at the bottom of the online form.