Social Work (BSW) Major
The Social Work major at Champlain College generalist practice program prepares you to help individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities overcome life's most difficult challenges.
At Champlain, you begin your social work education immediately-our Upside-Down Curriculum ensures that students are enrolled in their first Social Work class in the fall of their first year and have their first community population experience the following spring.
- Perform a minimum of 420 hours of senior fieldwork in a year-long internship
- Experienced faculty of social work professionals
- Third-year, spring semester study abroad opportunity on Champlain Dublin campus in Ireland
- The Social Work program at Champlain College is a fully accredited BSW program
Mix Classroom Theory with Real World Practice Experience
- Thanks to our Upside-Down Curriculum, you'll be taking Introduction to Social Work and Survey of Community Agencies and other courses from the Social Work curriculum in your first year at Champlain.
- Our field-tested Social Work faculty will teach you the values, skills, policies and practices you need in order to stand out in this competitive field.
- The generalist practice and hands-on learning in this major will give you the social work ethical principles you need to conduct yourself as a professional social worker. Learn the other skills you will master in the Social Work (BSW) program.
- Build a highly marketable skill set and resume by taking one of the many challenging Social Work internship opportunities.
- Our campus location in Dublin, Ireland, gives our students unprecedented opportunities to gain global perspective through Study Abroad.
- Alyse White, '13, discusses how she landed a great job in social work on the strength of the internship she completed with the program. Watch the interview.
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of social workers is expected to increase by 16 percent during the 2008-18 decade; envision your Career Success.
Accelerate Your MSW at Another Institution
Through Champlain's accreditation by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), students may apply to be considered for admission to an MSW program to earn a master's degree in one year instead of two. If accepted, students would save a year of tuition costs and get a head start on a career with a higher-level skill set.