Academic Coaching Program
IMPROVING STUDENT PERFORMANCE AND OPTIMIZING THE CHAMPLAIN COLLEGE EXPERIENCE
Champlain College provides its students with many opportunities to learn how to get the most out of their valuable college education and build skills for a successful future. In addition to academic support services which include peer-tutoring through its campus labs and 24/7 online tutoring through Smarthinking, Champlain also offers each student the opportunity to work with an academic coach.
ABOUT ACADEMIC COACHING
Champlain College's academic coaches create with each student a personal and confidential relationship which is built on trust and respect for their unique strengths and goals. In private meetings or small group settings, academic coaches work with students on self-advocacy, goal clarification, motivation, mindfulness, time management, study skills and reading comprehension and then help them create personal plans for academic success. Key to their work is a student-centered approach which builds self-advocacy and accountability and encourages students to fully engage with all of the resources and learning opportunities Champlain has to offer.
- Create an environment in which students strengthen their self-advocacy skills.
- Motivate students to take ownership of their academic success.
- Assist students with how to build their organizational skills using their own preferred methods and suggesting new ones.
- Discover the benefits of mindfulness and its positive relationship to performance improvement.
- Focus students on their individual academic goals and help them identify the steps and means by which to reach them.
- Help students to develop strong time-management skills.
- Work with students to improve reading comprehension and the ability to retain complex concepts.
- Show students how to study and prepare for tests effectively.
RESULTS OF ACADEMIC COACHING
- Coached students express greater satisfaction with their college experience.
- Coached students report progress toward academic goals.
- Coached students report skill growth in organization, time-management, studying effectiveness and reading comprehension.
- Coached students are typically more engaged in and take greater advantage of all that an institution offers.
EVERY OPPORTUNITY FOR SUCCESS
Students are busier and manage more competing priorities than ever before and their aspirations for themselves continue to grow. Through one-on-one sessions and small group workshops, Academic Coaching offers each student an opportunity to work with a professional who is trained in providing academic and motivational support, customized to each student's own strengths and goals. Champlain is one of few colleges or universities in the country that invests in academic coaching for students. We take pride in knowing that Champlain students are developing skills that not only provide short-term success at Champlain, but will be a valuable advantage as they progress professionally after graduation.
ACADEMIC COACHING MAP
Click here for a map of where you can find help.