Event Green Teams
At Champlain College we are working toward becoming a "Zero Waste" institution. One step toward this goal is hosting Zero Waste Events. A Zero Waste Event is any one-time program, occasion, or event that diverts the waste generated by at least 90%. This is accomplished by reducing, composting and recycling most of the waste from the event. Together, Sustain Champlain, the Conference and Event Center, and Dining Services work with event planners to make events zero waste.
- Waste Reduction = strategies to reduce total waste generation (garbage, recycling, and compost)
- Waste Diversion = diverting materials from the landfill by recycling, composting, reusing, donating, or re-selling.
Zero Waste Event Planning
Event planners have devoted thought and time to minimizing the waste that will be produced at the event. A few ways that the waste will be minimized may include:
- Products with minimal packaging, utilizing reusable and durable items, and utilizing compostable and recyclable only products will be utilized
- Dining Services/Catering staff will serve appropriate food portions to avoid food waste.
- Often, electronic tools for promotion, information, and registration will be utilized instead of print materials.
- Further ways that this Zero Waste Event may attempt to reduce its environmental impact include: providing food that contains locally-sourced ingredients, hosting the event in a space with natural light, and encouraging attendees to use bicycles or public transit to get to the event.
Information for Event Hosts
Hosting a program or event on campus and want to make it more eco-friendly? Call upon our Green Team to help you out, and here's how:
- Serving food? Request a Green Team member to help set up and potentially staff a waste station during your event
Information for Green Team Members
Read through our Green Team Member Guide.
Example of a waste station set up in the Gym