Admitted International Student & U.S. Citizens Abroad - Next Steps & Important Information

Congratulations on your acceptance to Champlain College! The following information outlines the next steps you need to take prior to your arrival to the United States. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of International Student Services (OISS) at

Office of International Student Services

Champlain College
163 Willard Street
P.O. Box 670
Burlington, Vermont 05402-0670

Text through WhatsApp: +1.802.318.0365 (please include your name)

Expand All
Collapse All

The enrollment deposit is $750.00 U.S. dollars and is due as follows:

  • Starting in Fall term (August): within three weeks of your admit date (Early Decision) or May 1st (Regular Decision)
  • Starting in Spring term (January): at the latest by November 1st.

There are two options to pay your deposit as an international student:

1) Flywire

Champlain College has partnered with Flywire to streamline your payment of tuition and fees. Flywire has no bank fees, low exchange rates, and allows you to pay in your home country currency. Please visit, create an account, and follow the directions on how to send your money safely and securely to Champlain College.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Flywire can ONLY be used to pay a Champlain College international student's billed tuition and fees; it cannot accept payment for off-campus or personal expenses.

2) Pay by U.S. Credit Card

If you would like to pay with a U.S.-based credit card, please reach out to our Admissions team. They will be able to assist in taking your deposit through this Online Application Portal. Call or text them at (802) 625-0201 or email them at

Link to this FAQ

Required Immigration Documents Based on Status:

1) No current F-1 student status in the U.S. - Initial Form I-20 

If you decide to come to Champlain College, an Initial I-20 will allow you to obtain an F-1 student visa which will allow you to study full-time in a degree-seeking program at Champlain College. 

Please fill out the Champlain College Form I-20 Application Information Form and follow the directions to submit any required documentation. 

2) Current F-1 student status in the U.S. - Transfer Form I-20 

If you already have an F-1 student visa which is valid (and will be valid for reentry and start of classes at Champlain), you will need to ask your high school to help you with a SEVIS transfer before your current Form I-20 expires and apply and submit appropriate documentation for a Transfer Pending Form I-20.

Please fill out the Champlain College Form I-20 Application Information Form and follow the directions to submit any required documentation. 

3) Other non-immigrant status in the U.S. 

If you currently hold another non-immigrant visa status within the U.S. (F-2, H-4, L-2, etc), please reach out to a qualified, experienced immigration attorney to discuss whether or not your visa status will allow you to earn a degree and hold employment (work on-campus, paid internships, etc) within the U.S. 

If your current status will not permit these activities in the U.S., please fill out the Champlain College Form I-20 Application Information Form and follow the directions to submit any required documentation. You will find the full costs of Champlain College (including housing) in the Form I-20 Application.  

4) U.S. Citizens or Dual Citizens Abroad 

Please travel only on a valid, unexpired U.S. passport to enter and exit the U.S.

Link to this FAQ

For students from countries other than Canada: For step-by-step guidance on how to pay your SEVIS fee and apply for an F-1 student visa, please click here.

For Canadian and Bermudian citizens ONLY: For step-by-step guidance on how to pay your SEVIS fee and enter the U.S. successfully in proper F-1 student status, please click here.

For U.S. Citizens abroad: please check your U.S. passport to make certain that it is valid and unexpired before travel to the U.S.

Link to this FAQ

For Students Admitted for Spring Entry (January): please click here.

For Students Admitted for Fall Entry (August): please click here.

Link to this FAQ

International students, exchange visitors, and any U.S. citizens from abroad must arrive on campus and move into the residence hall several days before the beginning of each semester to attend a special international student orientation.

  • SPRINGTERM (January): Wednesday, January 10, 2024 
  • FALL TERM (August): Saturday and Sunday, August 17-18, 2024

If you intend to travel in the U.S. prior to coming to the campus, you need to know that according to U.S. Department of Homeland Security regulations, all initial or beginning F-1 or J-1 visa students are only allowed to enter the U.S. 30 days or less in advance of the program start date as shown on the Form I-20 or DS2019. Please consider this regulation carefully when making travel plans to the U.S.

A beginning student wishing to enter the U.S. more than 30 days prior to the program start date must qualify for and obtain a visitor visa.

A prospective student notation will be shown on his/her visitor visa and the traveler will need to make the intent to study (F-1 or J-1) clear to the U.S. immigration inspector at port of entry.

If you do not make it clear to the immigration official at this point in time, you will need to exit the U.S. and reenter with the appropriate F-1 or J-1 status.

Link to this FAQ

Once you have made your travel plans, please use the Arrival Form to submit your flight information to the Director of the Office of International Student Services at Champlain College so that we can be made aware of your date of arrival and officially welcome you to our campus.

You will receive a welcome packet full of things to get you through the first weeks of university as well as your student ID card and keys (if needed) to your residential hall.

Link to this FAQ

International Orientation:
Mandatory for all new international students, exchange visitors, and U.S. Citizens from Abroad

International students, exchange visitors, and U.S. citizens from abroad will participate in both the special International Orientation and the general all-new Student Orientation. The International Orientation is designed to help our international community members gain an understanding of immigration and visa-related issues, explore the campus and community, make new friends, learn more about the culture and customs of the U.S., and have fun as they begin their Champlain experience. A variety of activities, workshops and outings are planned. Contact with questions.

Arrival Days:
SPRING TERM (January): Wednesday, January 10, 2024
FALL TERM (August): Saturday and Sunday, August 17-18, 2024

International Orientation:
SPRING TERM (January): Thursday and Friday, January 11 & 12, 2024
FALL TERM (August): Monday - Wednesday, August 19-21, 2024

New Student Orientation:
SPRING TERM (January): Sunday, January 14, 2024
FALL TERM (August): Thursday - Sunday, August 22-25, 2024

Link to this FAQ

Please visit the Office of Residential Life for more information.

What to Bring

Click here to learn about "What to Bring." During International Student Orientation, we arrange shopping time for international students to buy personal items for their residence hall room.

All students from abroad (either U.S. or international) will be placed into Break Dorm Housing. This allows our students to stay on campus when they cannot go home during Breaks when the campus is closed (i.e. Thanksgiving holiday, Winter Break, Spring Break, etc). 

Link to this FAQ

About Burlington

Burlington, Vermont is the largest city in the state with a population of just under 39,000. It is a small and relatively safe city, which is home to five colleges and universities. The city is located on the shores of Lake Champlain and at the base of the Green Mountains. It is a beautiful place, with many opportunities for outdoor activities and cultural events. If you would like to explore Burlington more, please visit following sites.


It is neither necessary nor practical to carry large amounts of cash with you. If you have not done so already, you should open a U.S. checking account. If you need assistance, we will help you open a bank account during International Orientation. When opening an account, you must present identification (passport, driver's license) and proof of affiliation with the college. Different banks have their own policies on service charges and minimum balance requirements for checking accounts and interest yields on savings.

The Center for Communication & Creative Media has an ATM from TD Bank that allows you to withdraw money from your account 24 hours a day if your bank participates in the network.


Champlain College offers the Unlimited Access Free Bus Ride Program. All Champlain College faculty, staff, and students can ride any GMTA city bus anytime, anywhere, including the LINK Express routes for FREE. Just show the bus driver your Champlain College student ID card and then swipe it through the fare box card reader. If you need to take more than one bus to get to your destination, you MUST ask the driver for a transfer before you leave the bus.

Link to this FAQ