Scholarships & Grants

Champlain Scholarships

Eligibility for merit aid (based on academic strength) or need-based aid for incoming, full-time, undergraduate students is determined after you are accepted to the college.  Merit scholarships are renewed annually provided the student is enrolled full-time and meets all academic standards; no application is required.  Need-based scholarships are renewed annually based on financial need; the FAFSA form must be completed in order to be considered for these awards.  Scholarship awards do not need to be repaid.

All high school seniors who are accepted in one of Champlain's bachelor degree programs will automatically be considered for one of Champlain's merit scholarships. These scholarships focus on students who exemplify excellence in academics and engagement outside the classroom -- traits that characterize our outstanding faculty and student body.

Champlain College Endowed Scholarship Funds for Students

Endowed or "named" scholarships are funded by generous gifts from alumni and friends of Champlain College.  The funds are awarded each year to students who meet the donors' designated criteria.  Qualifications and award amounts vary, but the determination of the award is generally based on financial need.   Endowed scholarships do not require repayment.  More detailed information on each Champlain College Endowed Scholarships can be found here.

Federal and State Grants

Grants are "gift aid" which do not need to be repaid. They are awarded on the basis of demonstrated financial need. Most state grants are offered on a first-come, first-served basis.  These grants require the completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year.


Federal Pell Grants

  • Undergraduate student that has not received a previous bachelor's degree.
  • Award is determined by the Federal Government based on the family's expected contribution amount as calculated by the FAFSA.
  • Award is pro-rated based on enrollment status however.
  • Must meet Federal eligibility requirements.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

  • Awarded only to Pell Grant eligible students.
  • Award amount is determined by the College based on funding levels from the Federal Government.

Vermont State Grant

  • Vermont Resident (as determined by Vermont Student Assistance Corporation)
  • Undergraduate student that has not received a previous bachelor's degree.
  • Amount is pro-rated based on enrollment status.
  • Student must complete a Vermont Grant application at
  • Funds are posted to student's account after enrollment is verified and payment is received from VSAC.

Non-Vermont State Grants

  • Residents of other states should contact their state agency that handles student aid to determine possible eligibility, terms and application requirements.

Additional Champlain College Scholarships for Special Populations

New American Student Scholarship is a need-based scholarship for Vermont's refugee and asylum students. Recipients must be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant. This scholarship is for tuition only, and the amount varies depending on the students expected family contribution and other need-based grants and scholarships the student is eligible to receive.
Single Parent Scholarship is a scholarship for Pell-eligible single parents participating in the Champlain College Single Parents Program. The goal of the scholarship is to aid with tuition for single parents.
Vermont First Scholarship is targeted at first generation college-bound high school seniors. Recipients must be full-time and eligible for a Federal Pell Grant. This scholarship, in combination with the expected family contribution, federal and state programs to include work-study, student loans, grants and other gift aid, will provide funding for up to the full cost of attendance at Champlain College.  Vermont First scholarship recipients must remain in campus housing to qualify for the full award.
Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship is awarded to full-time incoming on-campus transfer students that are qualified members of the organization.  Phi Theta Kappa is the honor society for high achieving 2-year community college students.  The award is based on merit.  Questions concerning this scholarship should be directed to Shawn McElwain, the College's Senior Transfer Admission Manager, at 802-383-6644 or

Outside Scholarships & Grants

Many private organizations offer financial assistance to students. To obtain information, contact local civic, professional, religious and other community organizations. If you are a high school student, your guidance counselor may have a list available.

Find a Program
News Events Calendar Social Feeds