General Info about Gas

  • Natural gas that is piped into home heating and stove systems is lighter than air and will rise.
  • Natural gas is odorless and an odorant similar to rotten eggs is added. The odorant is noticeable when there is as little as 1% gas in the air.
  • Natural gas will ignite if as little as 5% and 15% gas is in the air when an ignition source is present.
  • Ignition sources include pilot lights, sparks, matches, electrical switches, static electricity, and motors.
  • Liquefied petroleum gasses (e.g., bottled propane) are heavier than air and will travel along the ground.

Immediate Actions

  • Remain calm. (Only attempt to shut off the source of the gas leak if it’s immediately apparent and can be easily corrected e.g., Bunsen burner, kitchen appliance, and you can do so without jeopardizing your personal safety).
  • EVACUATE the building/area.
  • Identify people in need of assistance and help if possible.
  • Leave ventilation systems operating and ventilate the area.
  • Call Campus Public Safety at (802) 865-6465 campus ext. 6465 from a safe unaffected area.

Caution, DO NOT :

  • Do not use the phone in the area of the leak.
  • Do not turn light switches on or off.
  • Do not activate the fire alarm system.
  • Do not turn electrical equipment on or off.
  • Do not use elevators in the area.
  • Do not return to the evacuated area until advised to do so by Public Safety.