Your Champlain College financial aid will follow you to all of our most popular semester programs. Incredibly, studying abroad can sometimes be less expensive than studying in Burlington! Talk to us if you have questions about financial aid and scholarships.

Study Abroad & Financial Aid

Once you are accepted to the Champlain Abroad program, you will qualify for an adjustment to your financial aid package that will meet your semester abroad costs. The adjustment will reflect the cost of participating in a program abroad and excludes work-study, which cannot be transferred to either international program.

Increases in financial aid needs will most likely be provided through increased loan amounts. Your needs will change regardless of the type of program that you do; however, who will provide that aid changes based on the program.

Information about 3rd-party study abroad fees

an abroad student in morocco, wearing a head covering while walking with camels in the desert

Financial Aid for Different Types of Programs

Montreal, Dublin, and Exchange Programs:

  • Students receive their institutional financial aid from Champlain College.
  • In Montreal and Dublin, payments and timelines will look the same.
  • For Exchange Programs, tuition payments will look the same; however, any financial aid which normally covers housing, meal plans, and living expenses will be refunded to the student so they can use this aid to pay these costs directly.

Summer Programs:

  • Summer programs are often less expensive than semester programs, and are not typically covered by most financial aid.
  • Pell Grant students can sometimes get some Pell Grant funds.
  • Financial aid loans are possible as well.

Third-Party Programs:

  • Third-party programs are not eligible for institutional financial aid.
  • Champlain does process federal and external aid for students to use while on third-party programs.
  • Champlain students keep their aid packages when they return to Burlington after studying abroad as they stay enrolled through the payment of a &750 study abroad fee.
  • Third-Party Programs often have their own scholarships. Students are encouraged to investigate those.

Champlain Study Abroad Scholarships & Grants

Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship

The U.S. Department of State’s Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program is an undergraduate scholarship where students can receive up to $5,000 (or $8,000 if you’re studying a Critical Need Language) to go abroad. Students who are Federal Pell Grant recipients are eligible to apply.

How Do I Know if I Have A Federal Pell Grant?

The application is a series of short essays – but don’t worry, it is NOT an essay contest! If you need assistance with writing your essays, check out the list of essay questions and tips compiled by the Champlain Abroad Office.

Application Workshops

We are here to help! We will be hosting workshops in the upcoming weeks for students who are interested in applying for a Gilman Scholarship — you do not want to miss it!

  • The average grant for a Champlain student is $4,000.
  • 50% of the students who have come to our workshops received a grant!
  • View our Scholarship Info Slideshow for more helpful information!

Workshop Dates & Study Abroad Events

Gilman Consolation Scholarship

Students studying for a semester in Montreal or Dublin who come to an Application Workshop and submit a Gilman application will receive a $500 consolation prize if they DO NOT receive a Gilman Grant.

Dates & Deadlines

Applications open in mid-August. The deadline for the next round of applications (Spring 2025, Summer 2025, and Fall 2025) is October 2024.

If you have other questions or concerns, reach out to the Champlain Abroad Office. We are here for you!

Have questions?

Champlain Abroad Office
200 Skiff Hall (the middle staircase above counseling)

Martha Moreno Linares
Study Abroad Coordinator

Non-Champlain Students and Financial Aid

Non-Champlain students who are accepted to the Champlain Abroad Program in Montreal or Dublin and who are seeking student loans and federal or state grants while studying abroad with Champlain Abroad must visit the study abroad and financial aid offices at their home institution to ask to have a consortium agreement established with the Champlain College Office of Financial Aid. This allows the home institution to process federal aid and transfer it to Champlain Abroad for a semester or year abroad. Your home institution’s financial aid office should contact the Champlain College Office of Financial Aid to process this request. Please allow 2-4 weeks for processing.

Note: You are responsible for knowing and adhering to the deadlines for applying for financial aid for your home institution.

Champlain Abroad

Skiff Hall, Suite 200
163 S Willard St, Burlington, VT 05401

*Virtual during the summer and breaks
Monday – Friday
11:00 AM – 4:00 PM