US passport held up in front of foreign building

Passports & Visas

Study abroad starts with having a passport. Champlain College is here to support you with advice, events and even reimbursements for some students’ passport fees.

Generally all students going abroad are required to have a passport that will be valid for at least six months after the end of their study abroad trip. Students going to Canada may be able to use a Passport Card or an Enhanced License (which is different from a Real ID license).

Champlain Abroad’s Passport Reimbursement Program reimburses eligible students for their first adult passport fees, and we also hold a Passport Event where you can apply for your passport right here on campus. You can reach out to us at any time with passport related issues/questions you may have while going through this process.

Visas are needed for some study abroad programs and for some students. Please find information about your program and whether you need a visa in TerraDotta or by asking our office.

You must hold a valid passport to enter and live in your host country.  If you do not already have a passport, apply now!

What do you need to know?

  • Passports take 8 to 11 weeks to obtain.
  • For your first adult passport, you will have to apply in person with the government, do not try to apply online or through a private company.
  • You will probably need an appointment.
  • Your passport should be valid within 6 months of the end date of your program.
  • You must have your passport before you can apply for a visa.
  • If you are not a citizen of the United States (including Permanent Residents), please contact your home country’s consulate if you need to renew your passport prior to departure.

Documents You Will Need

Champlain’s Passport Event

In the Fall, Champlain Abroad hosts a passport event, where you can apply for your passport right here on campus! We can even take your passport photo!

Please join us on Wednesday, October 16 from 11:30 AM – 2:30 PM in the Miller Information Commons.

  • Schedule your appointment prior to the event with our office.
  • Complete but DON’T sign your passport application.
  • Bring the required documents.
  • Please come 15 minutes early if you want Champlain Abroad to take your photo.
  • Be prepared to pay with a check or credit card unless you are part of the Passport Reimbursement Program.

Passport Reimbursement Program

The Champlain Abroad Passport Program is our way of congratulating and encouraging students to step outside of their cultural comfort zone and develop a global perspective. We’re here to help students with the steps of acquiring their first passport and sending them on their way to new experiences!

Champlain Abroad will reimburse the first 20 students for the cost of their passport application if they are eligible for our program. Students are an eligible if they:

  • Are applying for their first adult passport.
  • Completed their first year at Champlain (30 credits) with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
  • Submitted a study abroad application for Summer 2025, Fall 2025 or Spring 2026 by October 15, 2024.
  • Apply for their passport at the Champlain College Passport Event.

If you have questions about the passport forms and/or the documentation that you need to get a passport, visit us in the Champlain Abroad office (200 Skiff Hall) so we can help you. You’ll need to plan ahead in order to have the documents that you need.

Helpful Links

Champlain Abroad

Skiff Hall, Suite 200
163 S Willard St, Burlington, VT 05401

*Virtual during the summer and breaks
Monday – Friday
11:00 AM – 4:00 PM