Since 1878, Champlain College has assumed a leadership role as one of higher education's vanguard innovators. In recent years, that tradition has accelerated with the College's exploration of groundbreaking new paths to academic achievement and educational quality:
- Champlain's Centers of Excellence provide studio-like environments for students to work on professional projects that turn theory into practice. These include the Senator Leahy Center for Digital Investigation, the Emergent Media Center, the Champlain College Publishing Initiative, and BYOBiz (Bring Your Own Business).
- Visionary majors in areas like Game Design and Computer & Digital Forensics prepare students for the growth industries of the future.
- Pioneering Online Learning Programs. Champlain College was among the very first institutions in the nation to recognize the internet's revolutionary learning potential and create degree programs that leverage it.
- The Life Experience and Action Dimension (LEAD) program complements the Champlain education with four years of life skills growth in areas like financial literacy, career management and interpersonal communication.
- Co-curricular Activities built around majors and individual career interests give students the chance to broaden their horizons on and off campus via special courses, trips, encounters and other experiences.
- LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Certification of College buildings creates a sustainable campus and a healthier learning environment in places like Aiken Hall and Perry Hall-the 21st most sustainable building in world at its opening and one of only three Vermont buildings to achieve Platinum Certification.