Champlain College has now joined 127 national institutions as the newest Silver Bicycle Friendly University (BFU)! We are now part of an elite group of only 45 institutions in the country that are designated a Silver or higher BFU and only the second to be awarded a BFU designation in the State of Vermont. Kudos to everyone that has helped us get to this level. This is only just the beginning...
The quick summary of Champlain's bicycle facilities and programs can be found below or in the Second Edition of the ChampRides...Bikes! Magazine:
- ChampShop—the Juniper Hall bicycle mechanic workshop (initually funded by the Green Revolving Fund) is open 24/7 as well as being staffed on Thursdays from 3:30pm to 5:30pm. Drop in during open hours and have our Bicycle Program Coordinator, David, look it over, advise and educate you on how to maintain and repair it (or where to take it if it can't be fixed there).
- ChampRides—Champlain College's free bikeshare program is located in IDX at The Hub, where you can simply "swipe out" any of the four bikes for up to four hours of fun. Complete the waiver and book in advance. All bikes come with a helmet, lock, lights and bell...ding ding. We also have bikes at Lakeside Campus for use on the bike path and lunchtime rides there, too.
- Join us for the "ChampRiders Cruise" weekly ride series. An easy cruise around the neighborhoods of Burlington during the lunch hour to enjoy some socializing and exercise while exploring the nooks and crannies of Burlington. Easy routes and varying directions will be the theme of every week.
- We currently have two indoor bike storage rooms in Butler and Juniper that can be used by ALL residential students (and employees). Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org to request key card access. Respect your bike—use safe, secure rooms!
- Need to get changed after your commute? There are locker and shower facilities available in IDX at the Gym and in the Miller Center at Lakeside on the second floor.
- All employees can register for the Bike/Walk Rewards Program (CATMA) which provides rewards of gift cards to City Market, Ski Rack or Roxy Cinema for simply biking to work 24 times in a 60 day period (equivalent to three days per week for 8 weeks).
- Our safety program has helmets available for purchase out of The Campus Store in CCM for low cost. The Bern helmets are multi-sport helmets that can be used by people who bike, skateboard, ski or snowboard. We plan on expanding this to locks and lights too for the ultimate safety program.
Other bicycle specific links can be found below:
- Bikes on CCTA Buses
- Bicycle Benefits —Purchase a sticker, adhere it to your bike helmet, and receive a variety of discounts at local businesses.
- Local Motion—A member-supported non-profit organization promoting people-powered transportation and recreation for healthy and sustainable Vermont communities.
- trailFINDER-a web mapping tool of trails all over Vermont.
- Safe Streets Collaborative—Getting cyclists, pedestrians, and motorists alike to make our roadways safer for people on foot and on bike.
- Commuter Biking Tips