Champlain College is a particularly bike friendly campus—don't worry about the hills! We can always do more, so see below for our current programs and what's coming up in 2015 and beyond.
The quick summary of some bicycle related information:
- ChampShop—the Juniper Hall bicycle mechanic workshop IS NOW OPEN (with huge thanks to the Green Revolving Fund).
- ChampRides—Champlain College's free bikeshare program is located in IDX at The Hub, where you can simply "swipe out" any of the three bikes for up to four hours of fun. Complete the waiver in advance here. Bikes need to be booked in advance using your Champlain login on the event management portal EMS. All bikes come with a helmet, lock and lights. We also have bikes at Lakeside Campus for use on the bike path and lunchtime rides there, too.
- Join us for the "ChampRiders Cruise" weekly ride series. This is an opportunity for any employee or student to come for a cruise around the neighborhoods of Burlington during the lunch hour and enjoy some socializing and exercise while exploring the nooks and crannies of Burlington. Easy routes and varying directions will be the theme of every week.
- There are a number of bike racks available on campus for short term use. See the layer on our google transportation map for locations, details and photographs.
- We currently have two indoor bike storage rooms in Butler and Juniper that can be used by ALL residential students (and employees). Simply email email@example.com to request key card access. Respect your bike—please use the safe, secure rooms!
- Need to get changed after your commute? There are locker and shower facilities available in IDX at the Gym and in Lakeside on the second floor.
- All employees can register for the Bike/Walk Rewards Program (CATMA) which provides rewards of gift cards to City Market, Ski Rack or Roxy Cinema for simply biking to work at least three days per week for two 4 week periods.
- Our safety program has helmets available for purchase out of IDX's The Hub at cost price. The Bern helmets are multi-sport helmets that can be used by people who bike, skateboard, ski or snowboard. We plan on expanding this to locks and lights too for the ultimate safety program.
- Bike Trade-In or lease program? We are coming up with a plan to get leaving students at the end of the spring semester to donate or sell their bikes to us. We will fix them up over the summer and get them back to new students in the fall semester. This will help reduce the number of bikes discarded each year and help reuse them for new students—the ultimate recycling project. This is still in the works. If you have an idea, tell us.
- Want public bike repair tool stands? We plan on installing our first this summer at the new CCM building, beside Bader Hall, with the intent on adding more in the future. If you have a good idea for where, contact us!
- We are drafting an Active Transportation Plan in Spring 2015 to help shape the future of active transportation at Champlain for walking, biking, skateboarding and wheelchairs. We plan on releasing this Active Transportation Plan, highlighting feedback, our goals and vision, and action items for the future, and put it into a concise document that will be considered an addendum to the 2013 Transportation Plan.
- Our next big project is a commuter 'end of trip' facility in Cushing (once the mail room has moved into their new space in CCM) where there will be showers, lockers, changing rooms, a bike wash and lounge area. Sound good? We are now seeking ideas to make it awesome.
Other bicycle specific links can be found below:
- Bikes on CCTA Buses
- Bicycle Benefits —Purchase a sticker, adhere it to your bike helmet, and receive a variety of discounts at local businesses.
- Local Motion—A member-supported non-profit organization promoting people-powered transportation and recreation for healthy and sustainable Vermont communities.
- trailFINDER-a web mapping tool of trails all over Vermont.
- Safe Streets Collaborative—Getting cyclists, pedestrians, and motorists alike to make our roadways safer for people on foot and on bike.
- Commuter Biking Tips