Tuition Assistance

The Department of Defense (DOD) offers TA to service members in all branches and components of the U.S. armed services. Each branch/component has specific TA limits and application procedures. Prior to enrolling at Champlain College, you must speak with your Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within your respective service (typically located at your installation's education center) and receive approval to use TA. 

Champlain College is a signatory of the DOD Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding (DOD MOU), which is an agreement between the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness and educational institutions. DOD policy requires educational institutions that wish to participate in the DOD TA Program to sign an MOU conveying the commitments and agreements between the educational institution and DOD prior to an educational institution receiving funds from a service's TA program. The memorandum and a list of educational institutions that have signed can be found at

Steps for Using Your Military TA

  1. You must receive approval from your Education Services Officer (ESO) or education counselor prior to enrolling in courses at Champlain. Do not enroll in courses until you have this approval.
  2. Meet with your admissions advisor and enroll at Champlain.
  3. Submit our certification request form.  Please note the form does not always work on government computers so you will want to access the form from a private device or computer.  
  4. Student Accounts will bill your military branch through its education services portal.
  5. Contact your ESO for any further questions or clarification. Below is a list of links to the different branch/component education portals:

Policy On Recruitment And Enrollment Of Military Students

As a signatory of the DOD Memorandum of Understanding, Champlain College Commits to a ban on all high-pressure recruitment and marketing tactics for the purpose of securing enrollments of military Service Members.


This policy applies to all Champlain College employees providing assistance to military service members.


To eliminate aggressive recruiting and marketing aimed at military service members:

  1. Gifts or other such inducements provided for the purpose of securing enrollments of military service members or obtaining access to tuition assistance funds will NOT be accepted. 
  2. Other than normal salaries paid to employees, or normal fees paid to contractors made in conformity with all applicable laws, payments to any individual or entity will NOT be accepted for the purpose of securing enrollments of military service members or obtaining access to tuition assistance funds.
  3. College departments will refrain from high-pressure recruitment tactics. Such tactics include making multiple unsolicited phone calls to military service members for the purpose of securing their enrollment.
  4. Champlain College will refrain from providing any commission, bonus, or other incentive payment based directly or indirectly on securing enrollments to any persons or entities engaged in any student recruiting, admission activities. Excess Federal financial aid and/or tuition assistance funds cannot be offered to entice a military serviceman to enroll.

Military TA Top-Up Program

Using Top-Up benefits may be an option if you plan to use TA to complete a degree program while on active duty and don't plan to continue your education after service. Top-Up can also be helpful for just taking a few courses with TA while on active duty; then you can save most of your GI Bill benefits for after service to complete your education program.

Visit for additional information on Top-Up, visit the GI Bill Comparison Tool to assist you in determining the amount of benefit you may receive through the VA, and contact the Veteran and military services office for more information.

Refund Policy

Champlain College's refund policy can be found at the link below.  For specific questions please contact our student accounts office at the contact information listed in the POC section above.

Information To Assist In Your College Decision

Please see our military and veteran financial and consumer information page for the information you need to make a decision about pursuing a college degree.

Program Accreditation

Champlain College is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education. Please refer to our accreditation information page to learn more. 

DOD Post-Secondary Education Complaint System

A new DoD Postsecondary Education Complaint System (PECS) landing page has been implemented and provides pertinent information concerning the PECS complaint process, as well as access to the PECS intake form. If you or your family member receives tuition assistance or is a Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts Scholarship recipient, you are encouraged to submit feedback.

You may submit a complaint if your school is failing to follow the Principles of Excellence. This initiative is designed to empower you and your family members to report misleading or unfair actions by education institutions. Examples of education-related issues may include, but are not limited to, misrepresentation or deceptive actions concerning multiple unsolicited phone calls or emails used as a high-pressure recruitment tactic, false representation about degree programs, misleading statements regarding accreditation or promoting costly private or institutional loans.

TA Points of Contact

Overall POC & Military and Veteran Service