Resident Advisors must meet the following requirements:
- At least one completed semester at Champlain College
- Demonstrated academic success (a 3.0 GPA is recommended, but candidates can be considered with a minimum GPA of 2.5)
- Prior experience living in campus residence halls preferred
- Desire to help fellow students
- Skills in problem-solving & conflict resolution
- Interest in planning activities & events
- Prior leadership experience and/or campus involvement
- Strong communication skills and comfort with public speaking
Outside of academics, the Resident Advisor position is expected to be the top priority of the students in the role. RAs cannot be involved in activities or employment that conflict with training or job responsibilities. Exceptions to participate in other leadership roles on campus are considered on a case-by-case basis. RAs may hold the Student Ambassador, Peer Advisor, or Orientation Leader roles concurrently provided that they are not beginning both roles for the first time in the same semester.
Link to this FAQ
- RAs are traditionally hired for the academic year, however, consideration will still be given to candidates applying for the fall with plans to graduate in December or study abroad in the spring.
- Each spring, current Resident Advisors must reapply to the position for the following academic year. Decisions to continue are based on past performance, supervisor evaluation, renewal application, and interview.
- Any applicant, new or returning, on student-conduct-related probation, will not be considered.