Resident Advisors must meet the following requirements:
- At least one completed semester at Champlain College and be enrolled as a full-time student (12 credit hours)
- Demonstrated academic success (Maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 at the time of application and throughout the entire period of employment)
- Prior experience living in campus residence halls preferred
- Desire to help fellow students
- Skills in problem-solving & conflict resolution
- Interest in planning activities & events
- Prior leadership experience and/or campus involvement
- Strong communication skills and comfort with public speaking
Outside of academics, the Resident Advisor position is expected to be the top priority of the students in the role. RAs cannot be involved in activities or employment that conflict with training or job responsibilities. Exceptions to participate in other leadership roles on campus are considered on a case-by-case basis. RAs may hold other Student Leadership roles concurrently provided that they are not beginning both roles for the first time in the same semester.
Link to this FAQ
- RAs are traditionally hired for the academic year, however, consideration will still be given to candidates applying for the fall with plans to graduate in December or study abroad in the spring.
- Each spring, current Resident Advisors must reapply to the position for the following academic year. Decisions to continue are based on past performance, supervisor evaluation, renewal application, and interview.
- Any applicant, new or returning, on student-conduct-related probation, will not be considered.