Emergent Media Center
Who We Are
The Emergent Media Center is an academic Center of Excellence at Champlain College that, in partnership with industry, public institutions and nonprofits, creates a laboratory/studio environment in which students collaborate with each other, faculty and clients to develop new concepts, processes, uses and applications for games and other emergent media.
- We are a blend of business and learning. We are always evolving with technology, media, culture, community, and our students.
- We are a positive force in the world that does well by doing good.
- We enable Champlain students to become thoughtful leaders in areas of technology, media and learning.
- We help define the future of immersive mediums and technologies.
THE EMERGENT MEDIA CENTER STRIVES TO...
- Create a place of business and learning that gives students real-world experience, and allows clients to work with smart, talented, young professionals.
- Collaborate, engage, and discuss with industry, clients and community to solve problems and create positive change.
- Foster an environment in which students can foster friendships, collaborate with clients, peers, faculty and staff, and learn by doing.
WHAT DO WE DO?
The Emergent Media Center is an academic center whose mission is to educate and inspire next generation media creators and leaders. We support the talent and creativity of students to create interactive media, games, and mobile apps for positive change on a wide range of topics including social causes, health and medicine, business, communication, education, and training. Through a collaborative, exploratory design cycle, the EMC transforms education, processes, and media while enlightening our college community, our partners, and our global community.
Game and social networking technologies are in their infancy and will be used for applications reaching far beyond entertainment -- there is much to discover. We strive to create a place of business and learning that gives students real-world experience, and allows clients to work with smart, talented, young professionals.
WHO DO WE WORK WITH?
Private companies, non-profit organizations, foundations, and entrepreneurs. Emergent industries need skilled, smart employees. Non-profits are looking for emergent media and games to solve meaningful problems.
HOW DO WE WORK?
We work on grants, contracted projects and exploratory sponsorships. The length and budget of a contract depends on the project scope.