Next to our logo marks our typefaces, Avenir and Adobe Garamond Pro, play the biggest role in establishing our brand look. In order to access these typefaces you’ll need to contact Information Services to have them installed on your computer.
Avenir is the College’s primary typeface and should be used the majority of the time. It’s a large family with many weights that should be used strategically to create hierarchy among information on the page.
Avenir 35 Light
Avenir 45 Book
Avenir 55 Roman
Avenir 65 Medium
Avenir 85 Heavy
Avenir 95 Black
Adobe Garamond Pro
A customized version of Adobe Garamond Pro was used to create the Champlain College wordmark. This small type family is also used as the College’s of cial secondary typeface, though it’s primarily reserved for use in formal communications.
Adobe Garamond Pro Regular
Adobe Garamond Pro Bold
Typography Usage and Rules
- Avenir is the primary typeface used to typeset most copy.
- Garamond is a secondary typeface and is primarily reserved for formal collateral such as convocational material and communications from the President’s Office. In everyday communications it can be juxtaposed with Avenir to create another level of information hierarchy. For example, to help call attention to our student and faculty voices in marketing material we often use Adobe Garamond Pro Regular to typeset quotes and callouts.
- Try to avoid setting large amounts of copy in all uppercase letters, as this decreases readability.
- Do not add effects, such as dropshadows or blurs, to headlines or body copy. Likewise, when scaling up a section of copy you should use the same increment or percentage on both the x and y axis, not doing so will distort the typeface.
- Due to the nature of typeface licensing, more universally available system typefaces are required for certain communications (such as email and web pages). Arial makes a good substitute in these situations and is already installed on most computers. Alternatively, Lato, the typeface we use on our website, is somewhat similar to Avenir and can be downloaded for free from Google Fonts.