student works on her laptop in the sarah ramsey lab

Office of the Registrar

The Registrar manages all official academic records, like transcripts, and provides services for all present and former students.

Welcome to the Office of the Registrar!

The Office of the Registrar maintains the academic records of all registered students, past and present. Need a transcript? We’ve got you covered. Your dog ate your diploma? We can help with that.

Our office is also responsible for the course catalog, schedule of classes each semester, and class registration.

The Registrar’s Office includes a team of Academic Specialists who assist students with registration or changes to their academic program. Every student in an on campus program has an Academic Specialist.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • You can obtain your student ID number via Self Service

    • Log into Self Service
    • Click on the person icon on the top right corner
    • Click on User Profile
    • View your student ID # under your name
  • At the end of each semester, faculty members submit to the registrar a final grade for each student.

    Grade Range Achievement Standard Grade Points Per Credit Hr.
    A (93+) Outstanding 4.00
    A- (90-92) Outstanding 3.67
    B+ (87-89) High quality 3.33
    B (83-86) High quality 3.00
    B- (80-82) High quality 2.67
    C+ (77-79) Acceptable 2.33
    C (73-76) Acceptable 2.00
    C- (70-72) Acceptable 1.67
    D+ (67-69) Passing* 1.33
    D (63-66) Passing* 1.00
    D- (60-62) Passing* 0.67
    F (Below 60) Failing 0.00
    P Pass Not computed
    NP No Pass 0.00
    W Withdrawn before the end of the 11th week of a 15-week course** Not computed
    I Incomplete Not computed
    AU Audit No grade or credit earned

    *For exceptions, see the Education, Game Art & Animation, Game Design, Paralegal, Social Work, Software Development and Software Engineering majors.
    **After the end of the 11th week of a 15-week course, students may not withdraw from a course.

    Learn More About Grading

  • Changing Your Major

    Requests to change or declare a major should start with your current Faculty Advisor. Final approval will come from the division Dean responsible for the new program or that Dean’s designee. The Dean will notify the appropriate Academic Specialist in the Registrar’s office of the change of major.

    Students who wish to change majors after being accepted and before the end of the first week of classes must contact the Office of Admissions rather than the Registrar’s Office.

    Learn More About Changing/Declaring a Major

    Adding a Minor

    After discussions with advisors, students may wish to select a minor from those available across all academic units. Students wishing to select a minor will do so using this online form.

    It should be understood that the selection of a minor may extend the time needed to fulfill all course requirements, unless the minor is required.

    Learn About Adding a Minor

    • Trustee Scholar: A designation awarded to students who attend Champlain College full-time and maintain a 4.0 average for two consecutive semesters.
    • President’s List: A designation awarded to students who attend Champlain College full-time and achieve a semester average of 4.0.
    • Dean’s List: A designation awarded to students who attend Champlain College full-time and achieve a semester average of 3.50 or better.

    Graduation Honors: Latin distinctions are given to graduating undergraduate students with the following minimum cumulative grade point averages:

    Summa Cum Laude: 3.80 Average GPA
    Magna Cum Laude: 3.65 Average GPA
    Cum Laude: 3.50 Average GPA

    Divisions may award additional honors recognizing academic, service and career development achievements. Conduct records may be accessed in the determination of these awards.

  • To be considered full-time, a student must enroll in courses totaling at least 12 credit hours per 15-week semester. Students making changes that affect their full-time status should first check with the Financial Aid Office to determine the effect of such changes on aid eligibility.

  • Students who petition to change their Legal Name on their academic record (such as transcript) must complete a form and present legal documentation of the name change.

    NOTE: This is different from a Chosen Name, which Champlain College allows students to use while enrolled at the College.

    More About Name Change Requests

  • Approved students may take up to 9 credits at the graduate level toward completion of their undergraduate degree that may also be applied toward completion of a graduate program.  Students who wish to pursue enrollment in a graduate program must apply for admission no sooner than the final semester of their undergraduate degree program.

    Get the Details About Taking Graduate Courses

  • Students may retake a course up to two times, for a total of three attempts, in order to pass the course or improve their grade in the course. Course withdrawals are counted as attempts.

    Students may not repeat the course simply to improve a grade if a more advanced course in the sequence has already been completed.

    Credit for the course will be granted only once (unless otherwise specified), and the highest grade received will be counted toward the cumulative GPA. All grades received for a course will remain on the transcript, even though only the highest will be used in the calculation of the cumulative GPA.

  • Some students will encounter registration holds on their records. This means the college needs them to do something in order to register for classes. Registration hold information is communicated in a banner in the Student Planning module of Self Service. Your Academic Specialist will help you understand the holds and connect you to the offices you need to work with to resolve them.

  • Champlain College offers non‐degree admission to students who wish to take undergraduate courses without pursuing an undergraduate degree. Complete the Non-Degree Registration Form to begin registration.

Get Answers to Your Academic Questions

Office of the Registrar

Perry Hall, Room 322
163 S Willard Street
Burlington, VT 05401
Monday – Friday
9:00 AM – 4:30 PM