During this period of remote instruction, the Counseling Center will not be providing in person counseling. We feel that this is best way to help stop the spread of the Coronavirus/COVID-19.
We will be offering tele-counseling for students who are residing in the state of Vermont. At this time, state laws dictate that we can only provide on-going services to students in Vermont, the state where we hold our professional licenses or roster status. We are looking into the possibility of that changing due to the unusual situation presented to us by the coronavirus and will be in touch to make that information available to students as soon as we know more. If you are located outside of the state of Vermont, we can provide consultation via zoom or phone in effort to assist in getting the care you need. Counseling Center staff will also help you connect or reconnect with a local mental health provider in your community.
Feeling anxious during times of uncertainty is normal. But there are things you can do to help take care of yourself and your well-being.
- Be kind to yourself and practice self-care.
- Get the facts, but limit worry and distress by reducing the amount of time you spend on social media or news sites that are upsetting. Ongoing Champlain updates on the Coronavirus/COVID-19 situation are being posted at The View page. For further information, see the dedicated CDC website.
- Eat well, get exercise and prioritize sleep.
- Seek support and ask for help (friends, family, mental health providers).
- Practice deep breathing 4-6-8 - Inhale for 4 counts, Hold for 6 counts, Exhale for 8 counts.
- Practice acts of empathy, gratitude and kindness.
Please know that our on-call counselors will continue to be available to all students, both in state and out of state, if you are in crisis or need support outside of office hours.
Additional support services are also listed below:
The Champlain College Counseling Center is located at Skiff Hall.
Our services include individual and group counseling, psychiatric medication management and referrals, crisis services, and wellness programming. All traditional undergraduate Champlain students, who are currently enrolled, are eligible for counseling services.
If you are experiencing a mental health crisis and need to speak to someone immediately, please call the on-call counselor at (802) 865-5745 or Campus Public Safety at (802) 865-6465.
- The contents of this web page and the resources linked to it are intended for educational and informational purposes only.
- Nothing you read on the counseling webpages are meant to diagnose, substitute for, or otherwise replace actual face-to-face professional counseling.
- Champlain College, the Counseling Center, Student Life Department, and the Health Center and their respective staff, faculty, and students, are not responsible for any action taken by any person as a result of viewing or otherwise obtaining information from this web site.
- Linked resources available from this web site are independently composed by sources outside Champlain College, the Counseling Center, Student Life Department, and the Health Center. Neither Champlain College, the Counseling Center, Student Life Department, nor the Health Center can be held responsible for any content contained on those links. Any link to an outside resource does not indicate endorsement of that resource, and does not necessarily reflect the policies, opinions, or practices of Champlain College, the Counseling Center, Student Life Department and the Health Center.