Residential Students

Annual Move-Out Collection for the Residence Halls


  1. Make moving out easier
  2. Redirect unwanted, useful items to those that can use them
  3. Bring unopened food donations to Chauncey’s Cupboard

Move-Out Collection – December Move Outs

Moving off campus in December? Bring all donations to the Swap Shop in Skiff Hall, room 011. If you have any large items, please reach out to

Move-Out Collection – May Move Outs

When spring finals week rolls around, there will be donation collection bins in each res hall’s common space. Do a little spring cleaning while you pack!

  • We all are ready for summer break—if we work together, we can get there quickly without trashing the campus (and planet), and help out those in need who can use the stuff we no longer want.

    • Clothes, bedding, linens, towels, blankets, etc.: anything without major stains, holes, etc.
    • Shoes & boots: ok as long as they come in pairs
    • Food: anything that has not been opened and is not perishable & any dining hall items (Ozzi boxes, cups, silverware, etc)
    • Toiletries & cleaning supplies: even if opened, these can be used by local organizations
    • Household items such as dishes, baskets, lamps, pots & pans, brooms, decorations, hangers, bathroom totes, shelving, storage boxes, etc.: should be in general working order, not majorly damaged
    • School & arts supplies: book bags & backpacks? Half-used notebooks? Half a package of envelopes? Sharpened pencils? All fine.
    • Books: we can take pretty much anything that still has a cover and isn’t wet, ripped, etc. Recycle otherwise.
    • Plants: we’ll find a home for them if they are still living
    • Appliances & Electronics: if in working or repairable order, we can take them. Should be generally clean (no moldy food in fridges, please)
    • Furniture: if not majorly stained, damaged, or with holes (and known to be bed-bug free), we can take these.
    • What we cannot accept: open food, broken or damaged items, foam mattress pads, bed pillows
    • All paper, cardboard, empty glass & plastic bottles and containers, cans, etc. can and should be recycled in the recycling dumpsters outside of each residence hall.
    • Batteries and electronics SHOULD NOT GO in the trash, but into the e-waste collection bins found in each hall.
    • If there is a lot of food waste, people can bring it to the compost bins behind the IDX center, by the loading dock.
    • Need a refresher on what can be recycled? See the waste separation guidelines.
  • Dispose of them properly. See more information here.

Commuter / Off-Campus Students

Live in downtown Burlington and moving out? Stay tuned for details for this year’s annual Spring Move-Out Project (SMOP).

SMOP Is brought to you by the Community Coalition: Champlain College, UVM Office of Student & Community Relations, UVM SGA, Burlington Code Enforcement, Casella, Myers, ReSource, and CSWD.

Faculty & Staff

    1. Think carefully about what items (e.g., furniture, files) you’ll need in your new space, and what items you’ll leave behind. Avoid moving items only to throw them away once you get there.
    2. Identify any furniture, equipment, or other large items to be picked up by Physical Plant. Please submit a work order to schedule a pickup.
    3. Got old files and papers? Submit a work order to get an extra recycling bin that can be used for paper recycling.
    4. Try to use up any extra office supplies before your move.
  • Many items can be reused or recycled. As you pack up your office, please take the time to separate the following categories, and avoid the temptation to toss everything in one big trash bag. Clearly label all items and boxes, and stage them in a manner for the Physical Plant or Sustain Champlain crew to pick up after you’ve submitted your work order through SchoolDude.

    Books Set these aside in a sturdy box for book collection.
    Office Supplies Box unwanted, small office supplies, label “office supplies,” and request the pickup, as part of your work order, to go to the Swap Shop in Skiff Hall.
    Computers & Electronic Waste (floppy disks, CD’s, VHS tapes, etc.) Items like old monitors, keyboards, and speakers must be kept separate from other equipment as they go to a special “e-waste” recycling facility. Please pile all computer-related items in one area, tag as “e-waste,” and include this in your work order.
    Scrap Metal Small metal items like shelving brackets, wire, broken staplers, etc can be recycled as “scrap metal”. Keep these in a separate box and include this in your work order.

    Be sure to refer to the detailed recycling guidelines page for more information on what can be recycled and how to do it.

For More Assistance

Contact us ahead of time before your big clean out. We’ll even help do a walk-through of your area to point out what can be recycled and reused.

Office of Sustainability

Skiff Annex, Room 203
163 South Willard Street, Burlington, VT 05401
Tuesday – Friday
11:00 AM – 3:00 PM

Email us to set up a meeting outside of the academic year