Green Revolving Fund
Initiated in 2013, the Champlain College Green Revolving Fund (GRF) is an investment fund that finances energy efficiency, renewable energy, and other sustainability projects on campus.
The Fund provides capital for special projects conducted by the Physical Plant that reduce environmental impact and can repay the fund with cost savings within five to ten years. A portion of these savings is used to support a subsidiary Green Community Fund that finances smaller, community-led sustainability projects, which may lack monetary savings but are in clear alignment with Champlain College's sustainability objectives.
The mission of the Champlain College Green Revolving Fund (GRF) is to encourage environmentally sound technologies and practices on Champlain's campus. The GRF will finance innovative projects that reduce the College's environmental impact; improve the educational environment; and generate financial returns while engaging students, staff, faculty, and administrators in the decision-making and implementation process. The fund will further the broader academic mission of the College while helping it to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and embody the College's values. Sustainability is one of the seven values of the College, which drive the goals of Champlain 2020: A Strategic Plan for Champlain College 2010–2020.
Champlain College is a participant in the Billion Dollar Challenge.
The fund functions as an independent fiscal entity managed by a committee of Champlain community members. The Fund will grow over time by collecting cost-savings from the projects it funds and reinvesting them in new projects. This structure will provide substantial cost-savings over time, while offering opportunities for engagement and hands-on learning for the entire Champlain community.
- To foster environmentally sound technologies and practices on Champlain's campus.
- To empower students, staff, faculty and administrators with opportunities to move the College toward sustainability and carbon neutrality.
- To ensure that beneficial and profitable green projects do not go unfunded due to capital constraints.
- To buffer Champlain's budget against rising energy prices.
- To transform Champlain into a national leader in sustainable practices and demonstrate that sustainability can be financially viable.
The fund will be managed by a GRF committee including:
- Physical Plant Director
- Sustainability Director
- Budget Director, or representative of Finance Office
- Representative of Advancement Office
- At least two (2) faculty and/or staff members
- At least two (2) students
Full Description/Guiding Document of the Green Revolving Fund
See the Center for Service & Sustainability's Google Calendar for future meeting dates.